Led Paint & Asbestos Testing Available in Staten Island
Now performing Led Paint Testing & Asbestos Testing in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan
Dangers of Lead Paint
Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, like the kidneys, nerves and blood. Lead may also cause behavorial problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisioning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, slow growth, hearing problems, headaches, muscle and joint pain, memory and concentration problems,hearing and vision loss, kidney damage, Anemia, fertility problems in men and women, nerve disorders, tiredness and irritability. Children who are lead poisoned may show no symptoms. Both inside and outside the home, deteriorated lead paint mixes with household dust and soil and becomes tracked in. Children may become Lead Poisoned by:
• Putting their hands or other lead-contaminated objects into their mouths,
• Eating paint chips found in homes with peeling or flaking lead-based paint, or
• Playing in Lead contaminated soil
Lead Paint was used up until 1976, both for interior and exteriors, and it was used to provide brighter colors and to make paint more durable. It has since been discovered that Lead Paint was a health hazard, mostly to children and pregnanat women. Not that kids were eating paint chips, but the cast-off dust around window sills were being ingested by crawling toddlers causing learning disabailities amongst other issues.
After 1976 Lead Paint, for the most part, was no longer used but still remains in homes throughout the country. Much smaller amounts were used in certain paints up until 1990. All post 1992 consumer paint produced in Canada or the United States for indoor use is virtually Lead-Free. To check for Lead Paint we take samples from the area of concern that you have and send the samples to Laboratory that is recognized by the EPA's National Lead Laboratory Accreditation Program. The report that follows the inspection will identify which surfaces have Lead-Based Paint. The report does not indicate the condition of the paint or whether it poses a health risk.
Property owners try to save money and inspect their own homes but it is strongly recommended that Lead teasts be done by a professional. Home -Based are less expensive that an inspection and they use chemicals that change colors to indicate the presence of Lead, However their results are very questionable and they do not provide the detail that an inspection report will give.
Since 2010, paint in Canada containing more than 0.009% lead must be labeled to indicate that it is not safe to use in area accessible to children or prenant women. When painting your home, make sure that the paint you use for the interior is Lead free. Exterior paints used for the outside of a house may contain lead. If it contains lead, the paint will have a warning label.
Dangers of Asbestos
Despite growing public awareness about its hazards, asbestos remains a concern in New York. Asbestos is found in thousands of homes, businesses, and even schools across the state, as well as in much of its infrastructure. Breathing in asbestos fibers over long periods can cause the rare fatal cancer Mesothelioma. Although harmless when undisturbed, any activity that causes asbestos fibers to be released into the air presents dangers to public health.
While the uses of Asbestos in America today are much more limited, the toxin can still be found in thousands of older homes. There is a misconception in the country that asbestos isn't a problem anymore, partly because the beleif that it has already been banned. However, it i stilla a danger, and products being made today can still contain the dangerous substance. Hopefully one day it will be banned, but until it is, we ned to be on the watch to make sure we don't become exposed. So be careful of these Asbestos products. If you think you may have Asbestos in your home, leave it undisturbed. If you do need to disturb it, contact a professional who can do it safely.
Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer that affects the lining of the lungs, heart, or abdomen and is caused by the inhalation of Asbestos fibers. Prognosis for Mesothelioma is poor, but early detection and new treatment provide hope for many new patients. The average life expectancy is 6 - 12 months and 33% of patients live longer than a year, with a 5 year survival rate of only 9%. There are about 3,000 new cases each year and symptoms appear 10 - 50 years after exposure. Symptoms of Mesothelioma are lower back or Chest Pain, persistent coughing, difficulty swallowing, cooughing up blood, abdominal pain and swelling, bowel obstruction, nausea and vomitting, weakness and loss of appetite, unexplained weight loss, fatique, irregular heartbeat or heart murmurs, cysts in the epididymis, inflammation of the epididymis, excess fluid in the scrotum, fevershortness of breath, fluid buildup in lungs, and/or pain in the Testes or groin. Symptoms vary depending on which type of Mesothelioma is diagnosed.
Because of its past use, the World Health Organization has estimated that 125 million people around the world are exposed to asbestos every year. When asbestos is disturbed, the fibers become airborn and may be swallowed or inhaled, eventually becoming lodged in the delicate lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart. The fibers cause irritation and scarring, which can mutate, inhibiting the body's natural cancer defenses. Eventually, this scar tissue may develop into tumorous growths.
Because asbestos is strong and water, fire, and chemical resistant, it was used extensively in various products and manufacturing processes. Asbestsos has been used in everything from machine shops and industrial spaces to floor tiles, exterior shingles, roof shingles and insulation in older homes, making it a rather common ingredients in many products and materials still used today.
Common materials Containing Asbestos:
• Vehicle Parts ( Brake Pads)
• Talcum Powder
• Electrical Wiring
• Fireproof Clothing
• Piping Materials
• Flooring (Tiles)
• Potting Soils
If you suspect the presence of asbestos, have it tested. Disturbance of the material could make the fibers airborne, exposing you and your family to the cancer-causing material. A professional, such as Metro Home & Property Inspections, can test the materials for asbestos safely and determine if removal is necessary.
Because of its heavy past use, the World Health Organization has estimated that 125 million people around the world are exposed to asbestos every year. Occupational exposure is the most common, with reports citing asbestos as the number one cause of occupational cancer. Construction workers, shipyard workers and veterans are among the most vulnerable, but many other industries put employees at risk of exposure every day. Family members and loved ones are also at risk if any type of asbestos products are in your home and disturbed without realizing these cancer causing products are in your home